Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Alpinestars or Dainese Motorcycle jacket?

I am going to be getting a new Jacket this season and would like to hear your opinions.



I have been going in-between Aplinestars and Dainese as far as brand goes.



I would also like you're opinion on Leather versus Textile.

What are their strengths and weaknesses?



Though, I might have to get a textile anyways because I do end up riding in the rain every now and then.



OK, here are some models I have been looking at.

Alpinestars T-Stunt Air Flow Textile $200

Alpinestars Stage Leather $300 "Yes this jacket is discontinued but you can still find them on-line"

Dainese Racing TEX $250

Theirs some other Dainese but I can't remember the Model's. Dainese updated their site to their new models.



I will probably pick-up some gloves as-well just not sure if I should get the full gantlets or not.Alpinestars or Dainese Motorcycle jacket?
I couldn't choose between the two brands - they're pretty much on a par; perhaps Alpinestars edging ahead...but that said, it doesn't matter on the brand.



Get the heaviest 'cordura' you can afford. Look for the nice things like venting zips etc and decent pockets, hopefully removable armor, a good fit on the neck. Perhaps a #10 full connecting zip.



Leather is still the best at abrasion resistance, closely followed by Kevlar-lined products but cordura jackets still aren't lined with aramids (any manufacturer reading this?). That said, textiles are still very good at abrasion resistance but there is the possibility of melting the material into your wounds if you scrape right through it - almost impossible if you wear decent armor underneath so it's a moot point if you're sensible enough.



I live in a wet country and ride daily so I don't like leather - it's impossible to keep it waterproof...



Gloves? I prefer shorter ones to the full gauntlets but I choose my jackets to ensure compatibility between the glove and jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment