Monday, February 13, 2012

Do I need an antenna for my CB radio to get reception?

Ive got a couple questions:



1. Do I need an antenna for my CB radio to get reception?

2. Can you get reception if you keep the antenna in the car?



Thanks.Do I need an antenna for my CB radio to get reception?
Yes, you need an antenna.

If you leave the antenna inside the car, the transmit and receive capabilities will be greatly reduced, but it will work.

Mounting the antenna outside on the metal body shapes the radio wave form during transmit, but does essentially nothing for reception.

I ran my antenna inside my trunk for awhile, and while the SWR was 2.5:1, I could hear truckers from about 1 mile away.
A CB antenna is required if you would like to hear almost anything on the CB freq's. A normal CB antenna that has fair performance runs about $15-20 at any truck stop or CB shop. Normally you can get a cell phone look alike antenna or even buy a tuner box, that will allow you to use your car's AM/FM radio antenna as a CB antenna.



Antenna's in the car. I have herd of ham radio op's having small antenna's in their trunks, as to not ruin the look of their Corvette, or Jag, but CB antenna's are normally much taller, and to have an antenna in the trunk is unwise.



If your worried about someone breaking into your car to get your CB, because they see the antenna, do what I do when I'm in a shifty place or park in a hotel parking lot. Put the antenna in your trunk, and take your radio in with you, you'll sleep better at night.Do I need an antenna for my CB radio to get reception?
Yes you need them.



Antenna is like the speaker and microphone. Without it you can't get any signal out of the CB.

===

No CB radio waves are very long. I will not get out of the metal body.





good Luck...
yes you need a CB antenna, no you can't get reception with the antenna in the car. the CB antenna needs to be mounted.Do I need an antenna for my CB radio to get reception?
Yes you need an antennae and the antennae acts as a ground to complete the circuit...thats why it needs to be in contact with the outer part of your vehicle...

No comments:

Post a Comment