Thursday, February 16, 2012

Can I install a cb radio in my room?

I just like herin the people talk on the radio. I want to be able to plug it in to my wall. Is this possible? Anybody recomend a special type of cb? I think Im gonna get one of ebay used.Can I install a cb radio in my room?
You can purchase a portable handheld model. They look similar to the walkie-talkies kids play with, but have more channels and better range. New units run $50-$100+ but you may be able to find a good used one at a yard sale, flea market ,or Ebay. A base unit would offer better range and reception but even used ones tend to go for more than your budget allows.



some on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cobra-Portable-CB-ra鈥?/a>



http://cgi.ebay.com/COBRA-40-CHANNEL-2-W鈥?/a>



but you can search portable CB for others
It's possible to hook up a CB outside a vehicle that's supposed to be in a vehicle. But why? The power source is different.



You want a CB made for a home which has an atenna built in or can except an external one. Look-up "Home Based CB's" on Ebay, I'm sure you'll find some.



Good Luck.Can I install a cb radio in my room?
If you use a regular unit you'll need an ac adapter. They run on 12 volts. Antenna you can hang anywhere outside. You could also go the main route and get a base unit, they're built for home use.
no!Can I install a cb radio in my room?
I did this before and i was a lot of fun. my recommendation is to get a decent CB. You will spend lots of hours chatting so might as well have a good 'ol time. you will need the following:



1.) an antenna - the bigger the larger range you will get....you can get one from radioshack

2.) a 12 volt power inverter ( you will need this to power up the CB and connect it to the wall.)
Yes you can you will need an out side antenna for best results I had one long ago it was fun , hope this helps,
Sure you can. You need an antenna, a 12 volt power inverter, and a CB. You could just use a car type antenna mounted in your room, but the reception won't be great. If your parents/building owner don't mind, you should look in to getting a large mast antenna that will poke up over your roof (and your neighbors' roofs).



As for which CB to get, a lot of people will probably recommend a large rig, but really, just for casual use, any reasonably-priced radio will work. eBay will definitely be your friend here. I like the mid-range Cobras for a radio, and 12 volt inverters are a dime a dozen (keep your eyes open at garage sales.)
120 volt ac units are known as "base" cb radios.. At one time I was into CB's pretty heavy.



You will need an outside ant. mounted on a poll or in a tree.. The antron 18' long ant. is about the best for a simply base unit.



My base radio was a cobra brand (can't remember the # though)



If you just want to play around with it some then you could use a car CB.. They make power supplys to plug into the 120 volt outlet then hook a 12 volt radio up to it.. A power supply to run a norm car cb would be around $35..



A good ant. is still needed though.. When I 1st started I modd'ed a car 'whip' ant and mounted it on the top side of my house like you would a TV ant.

No comments:

Post a Comment