Thursday, February 16, 2012

How do you get more power to a Home CB radio?

I recently hooked up a Midland cb radio, got it all going in my room, and I can't hear a thing, and when I transmitt the lights on CB dim. I was thinking that I'm not getting enough power to the CB, but I have 12V going into it. Is there anything I can do to get more power? I have this hooked up in my room, not a car. ThanksHow do you get more power to a Home CB radio?
Well, the first thing to check is the coax going to your antenna (check for good solder connections on each end - not the crimp on connectors ) - also check the SWR



2nd, is to have a GOOD base antenna (not one of those short indoor antennas)



3rd, is getting a larger power cord going to your CB



4th, is getting a larger power supply - 13.8 Volts regulated, and at least 5 to 7 ampsHow do you get more power to a Home CB radio?
Wow - didn't know CB even existed anymore. I would recommend checking at an amateur radio/ham sites to get best answers.How do you get more power to a Home CB radio?
You probably need a power supply with a little more amperage. Most cb's should take 7-10 amps.
A CB typically used around 2.5 amps. Your manual will tell you what yours uses. You want a power supply that is not straining to supply this current. A decent 4 amp, regulated power supply should do nicely. The power leads between the CB and the power supply shouldn't be too much more than an arms length.



You might also want to check your antenna system with an SWR meter. A high reading (bad match) causes the radio to reduce output power. Your radio might be cutting down all power to accomplish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment