Monday, February 13, 2012

What Do I need to make People on a CB radio hear me?

I bought a new Cobra CB radio and I use it in a urban area. I hear lots of people on it, but I'm not sure if they can hear me. Do I need a amplifier or this SWR Meter (Which I don't even understand what it does) to extend my range? The radio operates at 4 watts and I have a 31inch cobra antenna rated up to 300 watts. If I do need these items or something else where can I get it? Thanks!What Do I need to make People on a CB radio hear me?
Unless you want to be a loud and obnoxious jerk, stay away from amplifiers. If you want to talk for miles and miles, get into ham radio. The SWR meter will tell you if the antenna is adequately matched to the radio, it will NOT match the antenna to the radio. This is done by a combination of moving the antenna and/or lengthening/shortening the antenna whip. A $500 radio is only as good as the antenna you're using. Spend a little extra money on the antenna. A 31inch antenna is really not ideal, antennas need to be a certain length (the optimal length for a cb antenna is 102", which represents a full 1/4 of a wavelength), so the 31" antenna is electrically probably 102", but somewhere on your antenna there may be a small black plastic bubble where all that extra length is coiled around in order to make it shorter. Manufacturers do this because most vehicles don't have an ideal mounting location for a 102" antenna, that's why when you see these antenna they're bolted to a bumper or somewhere low on the vehicle. The absolute best antenna I have ever used, and ever needed is the Wilson 1000 mag mount. It will run you about 70$ but it's the only antenna you'll ever need. I think they are 62" high, the coil is in the magnet, but it's very heavy-duty This will greatly improve your transmit range. Make sure the antenna is in the middle of the roof on your car, the antenna relies on a ground plane to radiate effectively, and having it dead center will allow a pretty even radiation pattern. With the Wilson you won't even need an SWR meter, they're so well-made that they always match up perfectly. Good luck!What Do I need to make People on a CB radio hear me?
My suggestion is to get a fiberglass or firestik antenna with 4 watts and a good ground you may get up to 6 miles with a well tunes antenna. If you want ultimate power invest in a linear amplifier. Illegal to be used with a cb but they will optimize your cb's function. There really aren't cb police so don't worry about using one. A 4 watt with a 4ft fiberglass will get about 30 mile range depending on the power. Some may hear you they will just ignore you. If they come in clear they should be able to hear you.What Do I need to make People on a CB radio hear me?
Power amplifiers are illegal. Power ratings on antennas are the most useless spec since you only should be using 4 watts (12w SSB). A standing wave ratio (SWR) meter is an important tool when setting up your antenna. Antennas need tuning. SWR meters make sure all or most of the power from the transmitter is being radiated by the antenna. Some CBs have SWR meters built-in. You probably have a suitable antenna. The gain of the antenna tells how effective it is (assuming the manufacturer is not fudging the value a bit).



You didn't say whether this was a mobile or base antenna you have. Mobile antennas should be mounted with ample metal under them. This is needed as a ground plane, part of the antenna system. Base antennas should be high as possible using RG-8U or 9913 low loss coax.
People still use CB radios?



That is so '70s.

No comments:

Post a Comment